General named to head US Afghan force OKs drawdown
Washington: The man tapped to take over as the top US commander in Afghanistan is endorsing the size and pace of the 30,000 troop withdrawal laid out by President Barack Obama last week.
Marine Lt Gen John Allen says the drawdown will impress on Afghan leaders that they must urgently increase the size of their own security forces to take over as US troops leave.
Other military leaders, including the man he would replace, General David Petraeus, have said Obama`s drawdown plan was riskier and more aggressive than they would have liked.
Allen says a key US challenge will be filling a shortfall of hundreds of trainers and mentoring teams.
His comments came in a questionnaire he completed for his nomination hearing on Tuesday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!