General Petraeus calls for unity in Afghanistan war
Kabul: Gen David Petraeus, the new commander of US and NATO forces in Afghanistan, called for unity Saturday in the civilian and military effort to turn back the Taliban and stabilise the troubled country.
"In this important endeavor, cooperation is not optional," Petraeus told about 1,700 invited guests, including Afghan government and military and police officials, gathered at the US Embassy. "Civilian and military, Afghanistan and international, we are part of one team with one mission."
Petraeus added that the campaign to bolster the Afghan government in the face of the insurgent threat "is an effort in which we must achieve unity of effort." He told the Afghan dignitaries, "Your success is our success."
The remarks were Petraeus` first public comment since he arrived Friday night to assume command of the troubled international military mission in Afghanistan. His predecessor, Gen Stanley McChrystal, was fired last month for intemperate remarks by him and his aides about Obama administration figures to Rolling Stone magazine.
Appearing with Petraeus, US Ambassador Karl Eikenberry said America`s commitment to Afghanistan would not wane, despite sagging US public support for the conflict and President Barack Obama`s July 2011 deadline to begin withdrawing US troops.
"We`ll keep at it. We`ll persevere," Eikenberry said. "We`re committed for the long term."
Eikenberry called the new commander a "great friend" and handed him an access badge to the embassy, just across the street from NATO headquarters.
"Welcome aboard. You are welcome at this embassy 24-7," Eikenberry said.
McChrystal told Rolling Stone that he felt "betrayed" by Eikenberry`s opposition to the general`s request for a substantial increase in US troops in Afghanistan. Eikenberry`s opposition to the plan was contained in diplomatic cables leaked in Washington, a move McChrystal suspected was aimed at protecting the ambassador if the war effort failed.
DAI is a so-called "implementing partner" of Washington`s international aid arm USAID. It is believed to have opened its Kunduz operation about four months ago.
Such contractors are playing an increasingly important role in Afghanistan, using billions of dollars in aid pouring into the impoverished country in an effort to rebuild after 30 years of war.
"The actions taken by the EI security staff in defence of the compound and project staff were nothing short of heroic," DAI president and chief executive James Boomgard said in a statement.
He was referring to Edinburgh International, the security subcontractor.
The Taliban, which claimed responsibility for the attack, are stepping up attacks on foreign targets in response to intensified efforts by the US and NATO to rout the militants.
US aid contractors have been attacked across Afghanistan in recent months, hampering their efforts to recruit foreign staff as part of the "civilian surge" to speed development.
NATO said Friday that two of its soldiers had been killed in insurgent attacks, one in eastern Afghanistan, the other in the south, bringing the death toll so far this year to 325.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly