Germany for handing over security responsibilities to Afghans
Berlin: Germany, which is yet to commit extra soldiers to Afghanistan to back the US troop surge there, has proposed a five-point plan for creating conditions for an early withdrawal of foreign forces from the war-torn nation, including transfer of security responsibility to Afghans.
German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle called on the country`s NATO partners to work out a strategy for handing over security responsibility to the Afghans starting from this year when they meet in London for the Afghanistan conference at the end of this month.
"We should have the ambition to hand over to the Afghan people more responsibilities for their country," Westerwelle told `Focus` news magazine.
"This is about the beginning of a process which will ultimately open the perspective for the withdrawal of the German forces from Afghanistan," he said.
Westerwelle proposed a five-point programme for creating conditions for an early withdrawal of the foreign forces from Afghanistan. At the top of the list was improving the security situation and handing over the security responsibilities to the Afghans.
Further improving the governance at the national and regional levels, intensifying the fight against corruption, restoration of peace and rehabilitation of rebel groups, fostering economic and social reconstruction and development and promotion of regional and international cooperation with Afghanistan`s neighbours are the other priority areas.
They will be part of the discussions in London, Westerwelle said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh