Ghulam Nabi Fai fails to appear for hearing
Washington: Arrested Kashmiri American lobbyist Ghulam Nabi Fai failed to appear before a court here on Friday, following which his hearing was postponed to July 26, the Geo News reported.
Fai`s counsel said his bail plea would be filed before the court in the next hearing. He hoped it would be accepted on a bond of USD 1 or 2 million.
The US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has charged Fai, who heads the Kashmir American Council (KAC), for pushing the Kashmiri issue in Washington with Pakistan`s funding for over a decade.
He was arrested in the US on Tuesday on charges of participating in the conspiracy to act as an agent of the Pakistani government without disclosing his affiliation.
Ghulam Nabi Fai was detained a few days ago on the suspicion of maintaining links with the Inter Services Intelligence (ISI).
Sources said the FBI issued arrest warrant for 12 more people in the same case but so far no other person has been detained.
Through Fai`s arrest, the FBI exposed Pakistan`s two-decade-long covert game to influence American policy makers against India on the Kashmir issue.
In its 43-page court affidavit unsealed during the indictment of two pro-Pakistan activists, the FBI said Pakistan`s military and the ISI funnelled USD 4 million over two decades to tilt the US`s Kashmir policy against India.
Meanwhile, the Pakistan government on Thursday expressed concern at Fai`s arrest and appreciated his contributions for the cause of Jammu and Kashmir.
The Pakistan Foreign Office in a statement in Islamabad said campaigns to defame the just cause of the Kashmiri people would not affect its legitimacy, the Geo News reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP emerges as big winner in Mumbai, sweeps Pune, Amravati, Nagpur, Nashik
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena way ahead of BJP, leading in 40 seats