Gilani endorses Bilawal as future PM candidate
Islamabad: Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani
has endorsed ruling PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari as a
future Prime Ministerial candidate.
"It is up to the party... our Chairman should be the
Prime Minister and I am with him," he said on the programme
`Prime Minister Online` on state-run PTV late last night.
He was responding to a question on whether he would be
the PPP`s prime ministerial candidate in the next election
scheduled for 2013 in the presence of Bilawal who has formally
"I am with the party. I was not a candidate (for the post
of Prime Minister after the 2008 election). The party gave me
the responsibility," he said.
Gilani`s remarks came days after 23-year-old Bilawal,
son of slain former premier Benazir Bhutto, chaired a meeting
of PPP leaders entrusted with handling public affairs and
relations with the media.
Bilawal presided over the meeting held in Karachi on
November 29 that was attended by PPP spokesman Qamar Zaman
Kaira, parliamentarians Farzana Raja and Farahnaz Isphani and
Sindh Information Minister Shazia Marri.
Party insiders described the meeting as the first one
chaired independently by Bilawal after he formally entered
The PPP Chairman asked the leaders to increase the
activities of their wings.
He also called for establishing media cells in all four
provinces of the country.
Media reports quoted Bilawal as saying that instead of
adopting an aggressive approach for dealing with negative news
regarding the PPP, the leaders should tackle such information
in a technical manner.
Kaira told the media that Bilawal wanted the youth to
join the PPP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan