Gilani gave Rs 6 mn to aide for `medical check-up`
Islamabad: Former Pakistan prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani reportedly granted GBP 40,000 to his principal secretary Khushnood Akhtar Lashari for a ``medical check-up`` in the United Kingdom, without the recommendation of a medical board.
According to The Express Tribune, the Anti-Narcotics Force (ANF) wants Lashari for investigations in the ephedrine drug quota case, which also involved Gilani`s younger son, Ali Musa.
Lashari served as the health secretary in 2010, and the illegal quotas were reportedly approved during his tenure. Gilani had subsequently promoted Lashari to the post of principal secretary.
According to a senior official of the Prime Minister Secretariat, Gilani had sanctioned the release of the funds for Lashari`s medical check-up in the first week of June - a few days before the Supreme Court disqualified Gilani as premier.
Gilani had then directed the Finance Ministry to disburse the money to Lashari immediately. The ministry complied with the orders and the funds were released in two days.
Sources said the ministry did not point out the lack of a formal recommendation of a medical board of senior doctors that is required for disbursing such an amount.
Concerned authorities also did not point out that Lashari never reported any disease that is incurable in Pakistan.
The timing of the approval of Lashari`s leave was already contentious, given that the investigations into the ephedrine case had picked up pace, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy