Gilani hurt his own dignity: Sharif
Islamabad: By disobeying the court order to reopen corruption cases against Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari, Yousuf Raza Gilani not only dishonoured the judiciary but also hurt his own dignity, former prime minister Nawaz Sharif has said.
"No matter who becomes the new prime minister, he will have to write the letter (to the Swiss authorities to open graft cases against Zardari)," the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) chief told Geo News.
Sharif described the present government as a "perfect recipe for the country`s disaster" if it continued to remain in power, and said the government should hold general elections immediately.
"What is a single good thing that the present government has done so far to justify its further being in power?" Sharif asked.
The Supreme Court Tuesday ruled that Gilani stood disqualified as prime minister as well as MP since the apex court`s April 26 verdict holding him in contempt of court for refusing to write to the Swiss authorities.
A three-member bench led by Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry heard a set of constitutional petitions challenging National Assembly Speaker Fehmida Mirza`s ruling over Gilani`s qualification as prime minister.
A seven-member bench of the apex court had convicted Gilani April 26 of contempt of court. The court, however, sentenced him only "until the rising of the court", or till the time the judges left the court chamber. That was only for about 30 seconds after the verdict was handed down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- 'Selfie' with Bulandshahr DM B Chandrakala lands 18-year-old in jail
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!