Gilani ready to ‘sacrifice’ for sake of Pakistan
Islamabad: Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, who is scheduled to appear before the Supreme Court to face contempt of court charges on Monday, hinted that he was prepared to sacrifice his position for the sake of Pakistan.
“Our aim is to serve the people of Pakistan, doesn’t matter we remain in power or not. Gone are the days when party workers used to sacrifice; now the leaders will render sacrifices… We don’t need government which is not given by masses,” The Nation quoted Gilani, as saying while addressing a public rally.
Citing the example of the former prime minister and PPP founder Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, Gilani said the latter preferred embracing the gallows than compromising people’s rights.
On Monday, the Supreme Court is poised to frame contempt of court charges against Gilani. If convicted, he may face disqualification from his office and a jail sentence.
On Saturday, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf chairman Imran Khan had accused Gilani of putting the whole system at risk to save a corrupt President, Asif Ali Zardari.
Imran said that the government had caused a loss of 8.5 trillion rupees during the last four years.
Alleging that all the government allies including Nawaz Sharif were part of this corruption, Imran said: “How could the politicians having their assets outside the country work for the prosperity of the country?”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America