Gilani ready to ‘sacrifice’ for sake of Pakistan
Islamabad: Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, who is scheduled to appear before the Supreme Court to face contempt of court charges on Monday, hinted that he was prepared to sacrifice his position for the sake of Pakistan.
“Our aim is to serve the people of Pakistan, doesn’t matter we remain in power or not. Gone are the days when party workers used to sacrifice; now the leaders will render sacrifices… We don’t need government which is not given by masses,” The Nation quoted Gilani, as saying while addressing a public rally.
Citing the example of the former prime minister and PPP founder Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, Gilani said the latter preferred embracing the gallows than compromising people’s rights.
On Monday, the Supreme Court is poised to frame contempt of court charges against Gilani. If convicted, he may face disqualification from his office and a jail sentence.
On Saturday, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf chairman Imran Khan had accused Gilani of putting the whole system at risk to save a corrupt President, Asif Ali Zardari.
Imran said that the government had caused a loss of 8.5 trillion rupees during the last four years.
Alleging that all the government allies including Nawaz Sharif were part of this corruption, Imran said: “How could the politicians having their assets outside the country work for the prosperity of the country?”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you