Gilani says he would appear before SC tomorrow
Islamabad: Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani Wednesday said he would appear in Pakistan`s Supreme Court tomorrow for the sentencing in a contempt of court case that could decide his fate.
Addressing a meeting of his cabinet, Gilani said: "I will appear before the Supreme Court tomorrow."
The government has always respected the judiciary and acted on its orders and will continue to do so, he said.
A seven-judge bench headed by Justice Nasir-ul-Mulk yesterday reserved its judgement in the contempt case initiated against Gilani for failing to act on the apex court`s directives to reopen graft cases against President Asif Ali Zardari.
Gilani could face a six-month prison term and disqualification if he is convicted.
During yesterday`s hearing, Justice Nasir-ul-Mulk asked Gilani`s counsel, Aitzaz Ahsan, to ensure that the premier is present in court when the verdict is announced on Thursday.
The Supreme Court has been pressuring the government to revive cases of alleged money laundering against Zardari in Switzerland since December 2009, when it struck down a graft amnesty issued by former military ruler Pervez Musharraf.
Gilani has refused to act, saying the President enjoys immunity within Pakistan and abroad.
Gilani appeared in the apex court twice before and decided to fight the case.
Even after he was formally charged with contempt of court on February 13, Gilani insisted that he would rather be jailed than approach the Swiss authorities to reopen the cases against the President.
The premier has said throughout the proceedings in the apex court that he had done nothing against the government`s rules of business.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune