Gilani verdict: Zardari cancels Russia visit
Islamabad: President Asif Ali Zardari on Tuesday called off a planned visit to Russia to attend a summit after the Supreme Court`s disqualification of Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani plunged Pakistan into a political crisis.
The President cancelled his visit to Russia in view of the "evolving situation", state-run Radio Pakistan reported.
Zardari was due to leave for Russia tomorrow to attend the St Petersburg International Economic Forum and to hold bilateral talks with his Russian counterpart.
Zardari will play a crucial role in meetings to be held by the ruling Pakistan People`s Party and its allies to choose a replacement for Gilani.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry disqualified Gilani in response to several petitions that had challenged the National Assembly Speaker`s decision not to disqualify the premier following his conviction of contempt.
The bench ruled that the post of premier had been vacant since April 26, when another seven-judge bench had convicted Gilani of contempt for refusing to reopen graft cases in Switzerland against Zardari.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!