Gilani verdict: Zardari cancels Russia visit
Islamabad: President Asif Ali Zardari on Tuesday called off a planned visit to Russia to attend a summit after the Supreme Court`s disqualification of Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani plunged Pakistan into a political crisis.
The President cancelled his visit to Russia in view of the "evolving situation", state-run Radio Pakistan reported.
Zardari was due to leave for Russia tomorrow to attend the St Petersburg International Economic Forum and to hold bilateral talks with his Russian counterpart.
Zardari will play a crucial role in meetings to be held by the ruling Pakistan People`s Party and its allies to choose a replacement for Gilani.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry disqualified Gilani in response to several petitions that had challenged the National Assembly Speaker`s decision not to disqualify the premier following his conviction of contempt.
The bench ruled that the post of premier had been vacant since April 26, when another seven-judge bench had convicted Gilani of contempt for refusing to reopen graft cases in Switzerland against Zardari.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees