Gilani warns of military ops on safe havens of militants
Islamabad: A day after militants carried
out carnage in two mosques in Lahore, Pakistan Prime Minister
Yousuf Raza Gilani on Saturday said his government will launch
military operations on all safe havens of such elements.
Vowing not to bow before extremism and terrorism,
Gilani said: "Wherever the writ of the government is
challenged, military operations will be conducted."
The Prime Minister was addressing a gathering in
Pakistan`s restive northwest headquarter town of Saidu Sharif
in Swat valley, which was cleared of Taliban militants
following a campaign launched by the army last year.
"The writ of the government will be established at all
costs. If the government fails to protect the lives of the
people and their property, then it has failed in its
obligations and we will not let it happen," he said.
Though Pakistan`s campaign against extremism and
terrorism was its own war, the entire world had benefited from
the move, Gilani contended.
The peace and progress of the world is linked to the
success of campaigns like the one conducted by the Pakistan
Army in Swat, he said.
He said the decision to conduct a military operation
in Swat and other parts of the Malakand division was made as a
"last choice" because the government wanted to ensure that
peace is not disturbed and the lives and property of the
people are protected at all costs.
Gilani condemned yesterday`s terrorist attacks on two
mosques of the minority Ahmedi sect in Lahore that claimed
over 80 lives.
He said his government will do everything within its
means to protect the lives of all people, irrespective of
whether they belonged to minority communities.
Incidents such as the one in Lahore have brought a bad
name to Pakistan, he added.
"Certain elements" did not want to see the people in
places like Swat living peacefully and had resorted to
terrorism in the name of Sharia or Islamic law, he said.
Referring to the decision to allow the setting up of
Islamic courts in Malakand division last year, he said the
government accepted the demands of these elements but they
"changed tactics and resorted to violence and extremist acts".
The terrorists wanted to hold the government hostage
and gave authorities in Swat "a notice of five days" but such
acts could not be tolerated, Gilani said.
The government could not stand by and watch as girls`
schools were destroyed, people were butchered and the
administration was held hostage, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide