‘Gilani`s disqualification linked to CJ`s son case`
Lahore: Leaders of the ruling Pakistan People`s Party believe that the allegations of corruption levelled against Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry`s son have some link to the Supreme Court`s decision to disqualify Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani.
Arsalan Iftikhar, the son of the Chief Justice, has been accused of receiving payments of over Rs 342 million from property tycoon Malik Riaz Hussain to influence cases in the apex court.
The tycoon has acknowledged making the payments in a statement submitted to the Supreme Court, which directed authorities to take action against Iftikhar and Hussain.
"Since the Chief Justice`s son case surfaced, the case to disqualify the Prime Minister was suddenly taken up by the Supreme Court and we had the decision regarding Gilani’s disqualification," senior PPP leader Usman Salim Malik said.
A three-judge bench headed by the Chief Justice yesterday disqualified Gilani as a member of parliament due to his conviction of contempt for refusing to reopen graft cases against President Asif Ali Zardari.
The apex court also overruled the National Assembly Speaker`s decision not to disqualify Gilani following his conviction in April.
Malik said after the corruption case involving the Chief Justice`s son, it seemed as if the apex court was in a hurry to "punish" Gilani.
"As the Speaker`s ruling cannot be challenged at any forum, the court`s decision leaves several questions unanswered. Only time will reveal the real motive behind the decision of the bench led by the Chief Justice in Gilani’s case," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends