Gilani`s son accuses govt of withdrawing security
Lahore: Former Pakistani premier Yousuf Raza Gilani`s son Abdul Qadir Gilani has said that the PML-N government of Punjab province has withdrawn his security cover despite knowing that he had received death threats from the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan.
"Despite knowing that I am facing threats from the Taliban, the government of Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif has withdrawn my security cover," Abdul Qadir said.
"Since my father is no more the prime minister, the Punjab government did not hesitate in withdrawing my security. I am going to write to the Punjab Police chief and the home secretary to restore my security," he said.
Abdul Qadir said that if he does not receive a response from the authorities in Punjab, he would request the federal government to provide him security.
"If anything happens to me, Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif will be responsible," he said.
Nabila Ghazanfar, the spokesperson for the Punjab Police chief, said there were certain security protocols for the prime minister`s family.
"Now the Punjab Police are providing security to Yousuf Raza Gilani`s family members in his capacity as a former prime minister and this is not as extensive as when he was the premier," she said.
The Supreme Court last week disqualified Gilani following his conviction of contempt for refusing to act on orders to revive graft cases against President Asif Ali Zardari.
Gilani himself has shifted to the heavily guarded presidency in Islamabad due to security concerns.
Abdul Qadir is a member of the Punjab Assembly.
The Pakistan People`s Party has named him as its candidate for the by-poll to the parliamentary seat that became vacant due to Gilani`s disqualification.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015