Go for national reconciliation: US to Lankan Prez
Colombo: Hailing the victory of Sri Lanka`s ruling coalition, the US has urged President Mahinda Rajapksa to go for national reconciliation promised during the election campaign.
A statement from the US embassy congratulated Rajapaksa and the United People`s Freedom Alliance (UPFA) "for their historic victory in the first nationwide parliamentary election in decades.
"This victory, coupled with the president`s win in January`s contest, provides a mandate to move forward on the important issues the President discussed during the campaign," it said.
These included "national and ethnic reconciliation, decentralising power, economic development, and securing human rights.
"We look forward to working with the newly elected Sri Lankan government."
Sri Lankans went to the polls on Thursday in the first Parliamentary Election since the rout of the Tamil Tigers in May last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing