Go for national reconciliation: US to Lankan Prez
Colombo: Hailing the victory of Sri Lanka`s ruling coalition, the US has urged President Mahinda Rajapksa to go for national reconciliation promised during the election campaign.
A statement from the US embassy congratulated Rajapaksa and the United People`s Freedom Alliance (UPFA) "for their historic victory in the first nationwide parliamentary election in decades.
"This victory, coupled with the president`s win in January`s contest, provides a mandate to move forward on the important issues the President discussed during the campaign," it said.
These included "national and ethnic reconciliation, decentralising power, economic development, and securing human rights.
"We look forward to working with the newly elected Sri Lankan government."
Sri Lankans went to the polls on Thursday in the first Parliamentary Election since the rout of the Tamil Tigers in May last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda