Go for national reconciliation: US to Lankan Prez
Colombo: Hailing the victory of Sri Lanka`s ruling coalition, the US has urged President Mahinda Rajapksa to go for national reconciliation promised during the election campaign.
A statement from the US embassy congratulated Rajapaksa and the United People`s Freedom Alliance (UPFA) "for their historic victory in the first nationwide parliamentary election in decades.
"This victory, coupled with the president`s win in January`s contest, provides a mandate to move forward on the important issues the President discussed during the campaign," it said.
These included "national and ethnic reconciliation, decentralising power, economic development, and securing human rights.
"We look forward to working with the newly elected Sri Lankan government."
Sri Lankans went to the polls on Thursday in the first Parliamentary Election since the rout of the Tamil Tigers in May last year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory