Go for national reconciliation: US to Lankan Prez
Colombo: Hailing the victory of Sri Lanka`s ruling coalition, the US has urged President Mahinda Rajapksa to go for national reconciliation promised during the election campaign.
A statement from the US embassy congratulated Rajapaksa and the United People`s Freedom Alliance (UPFA) "for their historic victory in the first nationwide parliamentary election in decades.
"This victory, coupled with the president`s win in January`s contest, provides a mandate to move forward on the important issues the President discussed during the campaign," it said.
These included "national and ethnic reconciliation, decentralising power, economic development, and securing human rights.
"We look forward to working with the newly elected Sri Lankan government."
Sri Lankans went to the polls on Thursday in the first Parliamentary Election since the rout of the Tamil Tigers in May last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire