Go for national reconciliation: US to Lankan Prez
Colombo: Hailing the victory of Sri Lanka`s ruling coalition, the US has urged President Mahinda Rajapksa to go for national reconciliation promised during the election campaign.
A statement from the US embassy congratulated Rajapaksa and the United People`s Freedom Alliance (UPFA) "for their historic victory in the first nationwide parliamentary election in decades.
"This victory, coupled with the president`s win in January`s contest, provides a mandate to move forward on the important issues the President discussed during the campaign," it said.
These included "national and ethnic reconciliation, decentralising power, economic development, and securing human rights.
"We look forward to working with the newly elected Sri Lankan government."
Sri Lankans went to the polls on Thursday in the first Parliamentary Election since the rout of the Tamil Tigers in May last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- China reacts to PM Modi, says wants 'mutually acceptable solution to issues with India'
- Ravi Shastri accuses Sourav Ganguly of being disrespectful during the interview process
- China: 131 admitted to hospital after leak at chemical factory
- Class 12 toppers scam: Bihar School Examination Board clerk arrested
- Disha Patani and I are 'good friends', says Tiger Shroff