Govt forms panel to look into burial place for Christians
Kathmandu: Nepal government has formed a
committee to look into the demand for a designated burial
ground near the Pashupati temple area by the Christian
Christians complain that they don`t have sufficient
designated place where they can bury their dead bodies. In
Nepal, where 80 per cent people are Hindus, most people
cremate their dead bodiesd.
The Ministry for Tourism, Culture and Parliamentary
Affairs have formed a committee led by Rishikesh Niraula to
investigate into the matter.
The committee will "study in detail" the demands put
forth by the Christian community and submit its
recommendations within one and a half month, said Niraula.
The committee includes officials from the home, land
reform and parliamentary affairs ministries and cultural
experts, he added.
Christians have been protesting since a ban was
imposed earlier this year on a traditional burial area next to
Kathmandu`s revered Hindu shrine Pashupati.
The committee has also asked the Christian activists
to halt their relay hunger strike, which they have been
continuing for more than two weeks.
On Monday, the Supreme Court is set to conduct hearing
in two separate writs filed by the Christians as well as a
Hindu activist regarding the matter.
In his petition Hindu activist Bharat Jungam has
demanded that the Christians should not be allowed to bury
their dead in the small forest near the Pashupati temple area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17