Govt mulls modern education system in Pak madrassas
Islamabad: The government plans to introduce modern education system in Pakistan’s madrassas and degrees awarded by the seminaries will be recognised by all educational institutions, the Interior Minister has said.
Rehman Malik said a modern education system will be
introduced in Pakistan’s madrassas. The government and
madrassas belonging to five schools of Islamic thought have
agreed to modernise the seminary education system and restore
The decision was made during a meeting yesterday
between Malik and representatives of several religious groups.
He told reporters that the meeting agreed that the educational
boards of all five schools of thought will be registered to
give recognition to degrees awarded by the madrassas.
An inter-madrassa board, superior to the educational
boards, will be set up to attest the degrees and to review the
educational system of the seminaries, the Minister said.
Under the agreement, all the madrassas will be
registered by the inter-madrassa board. Madrassas that are not
registered will not to be allowed to function, Malik said.
The madrassas will function like private educational
institutions and this will restore their dignity and give
respect to their students, he said.
Malik said he will take all political parties, the
Chief Ministers of the four provinces and other stakeholders
into confidence on the madrassa reforms.
A total of 15,000 madrassas had registered themselves
with the government while 5,000 others will soon be
registered, he added. The groups that participated in
yesterday’s meeting were the Tanzim-ul-Madaris Ehle Sunnat,
Wafaq-ul-Madaris Arabia, Wafaq-ul-Madaris Al-Salfia,
Wafaq-ul-Madaris Shia and Rabita Al-Madaris.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand