Graft case: Former military ruler Ershad acquitted
Dhaka: In a major relief for Bangladesh`s
former military ruler HM Ershad, a court on Sunday acquitted him
in a graft case filed in 1995.
Judge Mohammed Zahurul Haque of the Senior Special
Judge`s Court acquitted Ershad, the chief of the Jatiya Party
which is aligned with the Awami League-led ruling grand
alliance, after the investigation officer of the case
submitted its final report, said Star online, the website of
The Daily Star today.
In a case filed on September 9, 1995, it was alleged
that Ershad during his tenure as the Bangladesh`s president
had transferred an illegal income of USD 10 million to a
foreign bank account of Mariam Mamtaj, a co-accused in the
case, the report said. Mamtaz was also let off.
Ram Mohan Nath, the Deputy Director of the
Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC), on February 23 submitted a
probe report to Dhaka Chief Metropolitan Magistrate`s Court.
Nath said he had failed to gather information about
the money transfered to the Mercantile Bank in Hongkong.
Ershad, who was ousted on December 6, 1990 following a
mass uprising against him, said he had "got justice finally in
"It has been proved again that all the cases were
filed against me due to political reasons and to malign my
image," said the Jatiya Party chief, who served as the sixth
Chief of Army Staff of Bangladesh Army and later as Chief
Martial Law Administrator from 1982-1986.
"The government did not withdraw my case on political
grounds. It was the court that declared me innocent in the
case," Ershad was quoted as saying by his political secretary
Sunil Shovu Roy.
Ershad, an accused in 17 other criminal cases, was
earlier acquitted and discharged of several other criminal
cases as the prosecution failed to prove the charges against
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared