Grenades hurled at Balochistan leader`s residence
Islamabad: A prominent politician in Balochistan escaped an attempt on his life when unidentified motorcycle-borne armed men threw grenades at his residence in Pakistan`s restive Balochistan.
The men hurled two hand grenades at the residence of Sardar Akhtar Mengal, the president of the Balochistan National Party-Mengal (BNP-M).
"Two grenades exploded inside the house located in Railway Housing Society," police officials said, adding that windowpanes of the house were smashed in the attack last night.
Mengal was not present in the house at the time of the attack.
He was at his other house located in Sariab road area of Quetta, The Dawn reported.
Balochistan Chief Minister Dr Abdul Malik Baloch condemned the attack and termed it "against the Baloch and Balochistan traditions".
He said the elements involved would be taken to task.
He directed the officials concerned to take all possible measures for providing protection to Mengal.
The local administration has stepped up security by deploying heavy contingent of police and personnel of other security forces around Mengal`s houses in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her