Group urges international action on Sri Lanka
Colombo: An international think tank says Sri Lanka is becoming an autocracy where the rule of law and post-war reconciliation are under threat, calling for global action.
Brussels-based International Crisis Group said in a report today the "politically motivated" impeachment of Sri Lanka`s chief justice last month dismantled the last institutional check on the president and military. The group also said the lack of power sharing and safeguarding of minority rights in the island nation could feed ethnic tensions.
The group urged the UN Human Rights Council to adopt a resolution when it meets this month calling for the government to investigate alleged war crimes during the country`s long civil war, which ended in 2009.
Presidential spokesman Mohan Samaranayake said he wouldn`t comment on the report until the government sees it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US