Group urges international action on Sri Lanka
Colombo: An international think tank says Sri Lanka is becoming an autocracy where the rule of law and post-war reconciliation are under threat, calling for global action.
Brussels-based International Crisis Group said in a report today the "politically motivated" impeachment of Sri Lanka`s chief justice last month dismantled the last institutional check on the president and military. The group also said the lack of power sharing and safeguarding of minority rights in the island nation could feed ethnic tensions.
The group urged the UN Human Rights Council to adopt a resolution when it meets this month calling for the government to investigate alleged war crimes during the country`s long civil war, which ended in 2009.
Presidential spokesman Mohan Samaranayake said he wouldn`t comment on the report until the government sees it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand