Gul Bahadur-led Taliban group in Pak declares truce for Ramzan
Islamabad: A powerful Taliban faction in Pakistan`s tribal belt has declared a 40-day unilateral ceasefire for the holy month of Ramzan and asked its fighters to stop attacks on security forces and government facilities.
The truce was announced by the North Waziristan-based militant faction led by Hafiz Gul Bahadur yesterday.
Ahmadullah Ahmadi, a spokesman for Gul Bahadur, told reporters on phone that the group`s `shura` or council had decided on a complete ceasefire in the volatile region during Ramzan, which began today.
Ahmadi said the ceasefire will continue for 10 days after the festival of Eid-ul-Fitr, which marks the culmination of the month of fasting and prayers. He said the decision was made to provide a peaceful environment so that the tribes people of North Waziristan could focus on worship.
The people are also facing hardship due to fighting between security forces and the Taliban, he added.
Gul Bahadur has strictly forbidden his commanders from attacking security forces and government installations during the ceasefire.
Instead, he has asked them to play a role for restoring permanent peace in the tribal region, Ahmadi said.
Gul Bahadur scrapped a peace deal with the government on June 29 last year to protest its "silence" on frequent US drone attacks in the region that have killed innocent people, including women and children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui