Gunmen attack political rally in Sri Lanka, 2 killed
Colombo: Unidentified gunmen attacked a political rally of main Marxist party in Sri Lanka, killing at least two activists, including a woman and forcing government to deploy Army in the southern town of Katuwana.
The assailants, who arrived on a motorcycle, attacked the rally in the deep south district of Hambantota on Friday, the Marxist JVP or the People`s Liberation Front said.
Two JVP activists were killed and several others injured in the attack. Troops have been deployed in Katuwana after the incident, military officials said.
Brigadier Ruwan Wanigasuriya the military spokesman said the deployment of the army was to assist police in maintaining law and order.
Police spokesman Superintendent Ajith Rohana said that some 22 people had been quizzed in connection with the incident.
The JVP legislator Anura Kumara Dissanayake charged a politically backed group of the government as being responsible. The government blamed the incident on JVP`s factional rivalry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'