Gunmen free 2 Taliban captives in Pakistan
Peshawar, Pakistan: Taliban militants ambushed a police van carrying two of their comrades back to jail after a trip to the dentist, freeing the captives, police said.
Officer Iftikhar Khan reportedly said three police guards are killed in Friday`s incident in the northwestern city of Peshawar. He identified the two freed prisoners as Nadeem Abbas and Zakim Shah. They are from the Pakistani Taliban, a militant group waging war against the Pakistani state, he added.
The group is strong in the northwest close to the Afghan border and has been carrying out attacks since 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened