Gunmen kill brother of senior MQM leader in Pak
Karachi: The brother of a senior Mutthaida Qaumi Movement leader has been killed at volatile Shershah market in Pakistan`s biggest city of Karachi apparently for refusing to pay extortion, police said on Wednesday.
The killing sparked tension in Pakistan`s financial hub.
Unidentified gunmen riding on motorbikes yesterday fired shots at the brothers of Shakir Ali, who is a member of MQM central Election Cell, they said.
The MQM and the All Karachi Traders Association have given a strike call for tomorrow over the incident.
Police said the gunmen had opened fire at Ali`s brothers, who were at their shop, after they apparently refused to pay extortion money.
They said Heraat Ali was killed on the spot while Zakir Ali was in critical condition in a hospital.
Meanwhile, a special anti-terrorism court today issued black warrants for two activists of banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi.
Muhammad Azam and Ataulllah were charged with murder of a person in Soldier Bazaar.
They were sentenced to death in this case in 2007. They had challenged the ruling, which again upheld by the superior judiciary.
On this, judge Ghulam Mustafa Memon issued black warrant for the accused. According to the court order, they would be hanged till death this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof