Gunmen kill chief of anti-Taliban militia in northwest Pak
Islamabad: The chief of an anti-Taliban
militia in northwest Pakistan was killed and another tribal elder injured in an attack by militants outside a mosque in provincial capital Peshawar.
Malik Mohammad Salam Khan, 60, the head of anti-
Taliban volunteers of Tarkzo area in Mohmand Agency, had come
to a Tablighee Markaz in Peshawar with Shah Wali Khan, a
tribal elder of Khyber Agency.
Militants attacked the tribal elders outside the
mosque last evening.
They were taken to Lady Reading Hospital, where Salam
Khan succumbed to his injuries. Officials described the
condition of the other elder as critical.
Police have launched a search for the attackers, who
were riding motorbikes.
Sajjad Mohmand, the spokesman for the Taliban in
Mohmand Agency, claimed responsibility for the attack on the
He told reporters on phone from an undisclosed
location that Salam Khan was killed because he had always opposed the Taliban.
"He did not stop facilitating officials of the
political administration and security forces despite several warnings," Mohmand said.
He threatened that the Taliban would continue to attack their opponents if they did not stop their activities.
Salam Khan was a well-known pro-government elder of
Tarkzo village in Yaka Ghund area of Mohmand Agency.
He raised an armed `lashkar` or militia to take on
Taliban fighters and had survived several attempts on his life
in the past.
He was the sixth tribal elder and head of an
anti-Taliban militia to be killed in a militant attack in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly