Gunmen kill chief of anti-Taliban militia in northwest Pak
Islamabad: The chief of an anti-Taliban
militia in northwest Pakistan was killed and another tribal elder injured in an attack by militants outside a mosque in provincial capital Peshawar.
Malik Mohammad Salam Khan, 60, the head of anti-
Taliban volunteers of Tarkzo area in Mohmand Agency, had come
to a Tablighee Markaz in Peshawar with Shah Wali Khan, a
tribal elder of Khyber Agency.
Militants attacked the tribal elders outside the
mosque last evening.
They were taken to Lady Reading Hospital, where Salam
Khan succumbed to his injuries. Officials described the
condition of the other elder as critical.
Police have launched a search for the attackers, who
were riding motorbikes.
Sajjad Mohmand, the spokesman for the Taliban in
Mohmand Agency, claimed responsibility for the attack on the
He told reporters on phone from an undisclosed
location that Salam Khan was killed because he had always opposed the Taliban.
"He did not stop facilitating officials of the
political administration and security forces despite several warnings," Mohmand said.
He threatened that the Taliban would continue to attack their opponents if they did not stop their activities.
Salam Khan was a well-known pro-government elder of
Tarkzo village in Yaka Ghund area of Mohmand Agency.
He raised an armed `lashkar` or militia to take on
Taliban fighters and had survived several attempts on his life
in the past.
He was the sixth tribal elder and head of an
anti-Taliban militia to be killed in a militant attack in
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Radiotherapy can affect lung cancer patients adversely
- Coolpad announces a price cut on Note 3 smartphone in India
- MNS chief Raj Thackeray asks Maharashtra CM Fadnavis to quit for supporting Vidarbha
- Horror! In chilling reminder of Delhi gang-rape, woman in Kerala brutally raped, intestines pulled out
- Cong accuses PM Modi of doctoring birth details, education info; threatens to expose facts