Gunmen kill senior police official in NW Pakistan
Islamabad: Gunmen on a motorcycle shot dead a senior police official and his driver in a restive northwestern Pakistani city Monday, police said.
The shooting took place when the officer, who worked in the traffic department, was leaving his house in Saeed Abad, a middle-class residential area of Peshawar city.
Senior police official Khalid Hameed Hamdani and local police station chief Arshad Khan confirmed the deaths.
"It is too early to say who killed them," Hamdani said but added that police were a target of militants.
Peshawar, the capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, is on the frontline of a seven-year Taliban insurgency and borders the semi-autonomous tribal belt, where US drone strikes target Taliban and al Qaeda operatives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble