Gunmen kill senior Shia educationist in Pakistan
Lahore: A senior Shia educationist was shot dead along with his driver by unidentified motorcycle-borne gunmen in Pakistan`s Punjab province in an apparent sectarian attack.
Prof Shabir Hussain Shah, the director of student affairs at the University of Gujrat, was attacked by the gunmen as was going to the campus from his home.
Shah and his driver died on the spot. The gunmen managed to flee.
Sheikh Abdul Rashid, a spokesman for the university, told reporters that Shah had received threats and the district administration had been informed several times about this but no security was provided.
Police said they were investigating all aspects of the case.
Muzahir Shigri, the spokesman of Mutahida Wahdatul Muslimeen which is a leading political group for the Shia community, told PTI that Shah`s killing was sectarian attack as he had no enmity with anyone.
He accused the government of murder, saying Shah was not provided security despite threats from extremists.
Shah`s killing came after a spate of sectarian clashes in the country that had forced authorities to impose curfew and call in the army in three cities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack