Gunmen kill senior Shia educationist in Pakistan
Lahore: A senior Shia educationist was shot dead along with his driver by unidentified motorcycle-borne gunmen in Pakistan`s Punjab province in an apparent sectarian attack.
Prof Shabir Hussain Shah, the director of student affairs at the University of Gujrat, was attacked by the gunmen as was going to the campus from his home.
Shah and his driver died on the spot. The gunmen managed to flee.
Sheikh Abdul Rashid, a spokesman for the university, told reporters that Shah had received threats and the district administration had been informed several times about this but no security was provided.
Police said they were investigating all aspects of the case.
Muzahir Shigri, the spokesman of Mutahida Wahdatul Muslimeen which is a leading political group for the Shia community, told PTI that Shah`s killing was sectarian attack as he had no enmity with anyone.
He accused the government of murder, saying Shah was not provided security despite threats from extremists.
Shah`s killing came after a spate of sectarian clashes in the country that had forced authorities to impose curfew and call in the army in three cities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security