Gunmen kill senior Shia educationist in Pakistan
Lahore: A senior Shia educationist was shot dead along with his driver by unidentified motorcycle-borne gunmen in Pakistan`s Punjab province in an apparent sectarian attack.
Prof Shabir Hussain Shah, the director of student affairs at the University of Gujrat, was attacked by the gunmen as was going to the campus from his home.
Shah and his driver died on the spot. The gunmen managed to flee.
Sheikh Abdul Rashid, a spokesman for the university, told reporters that Shah had received threats and the district administration had been informed several times about this but no security was provided.
Police said they were investigating all aspects of the case.
Muzahir Shigri, the spokesman of Mutahida Wahdatul Muslimeen which is a leading political group for the Shia community, told PTI that Shah`s killing was sectarian attack as he had no enmity with anyone.
He accused the government of murder, saying Shah was not provided security despite threats from extremists.
Shah`s killing came after a spate of sectarian clashes in the country that had forced authorities to impose curfew and call in the army in three cities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi