Gurdwaras in Pakistan observe Sikh Environment Day
Washington: For the first time, 35 gurdwaras in Pakistan mainly in Sindh and Balochistan, and in Nankana Sahib, the birthplace of Guru Nanak, joined Sikh institutions in India and abroad in observing Sikh Environment Day, according to information received in Washington.
Tens of thousands of Sikhs across the world celebrated the Day on Thursday, according to Washington based Sikh organization, EcoSikh which had appealed to all Sikh groups to observe the day with environmental action programmes.
The day when Guru Har Rai, known for his deep love and sensitivity towards nature and its preservation, became the seventh Sikh Guru in 1644, is observed by the community as Sikh Environment Day to garner support from various faith communities and officials.
EcoSikh president Rajwant Singh, said: "It is amazing to see so much enthusiasm among the Sikh communities all around the world, and we believe that this is the largest direct action by the Sikhs for the environment in the history of Sikhism."
Ravneet Singh, Programme Manager of Ecosikh in India, said some 1,550 Sikh gurdwaras, organizations and institutions from India and abroad had held special Gurbani recitals on the theme of nature and organized herbal plants and flower shows.
"For the first time, Sikhs in the British Army are also organizing their special observances on environment." he added.
Gurdwaras across Punjab and other parts of the world also pledged to reduce the use of Styrofoam and disposables at gurdwaras and religious ceremonies.
"Many gurdwaras have begun projects on implementing solar panels, composting systems, and steel utensils during langar (free community meal in the Sikh tradition) for more comprehensive environmental sustainability," said Paramjeet Kaur, EcoSikh programme administrator in North America.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way