Gurdwaras in Pakistan observe Sikh Environment Day
Washington: For the first time, 35 gurdwaras in Pakistan mainly in Sindh and Balochistan, and in Nankana Sahib, the birthplace of Guru Nanak, joined Sikh institutions in India and abroad in observing Sikh Environment Day, according to information received in Washington.
Tens of thousands of Sikhs across the world celebrated the Day on Thursday, according to Washington based Sikh organization, EcoSikh which had appealed to all Sikh groups to observe the day with environmental action programmes.
The day when Guru Har Rai, known for his deep love and sensitivity towards nature and its preservation, became the seventh Sikh Guru in 1644, is observed by the community as Sikh Environment Day to garner support from various faith communities and officials.
EcoSikh president Rajwant Singh, said: "It is amazing to see so much enthusiasm among the Sikh communities all around the world, and we believe that this is the largest direct action by the Sikhs for the environment in the history of Sikhism."
Ravneet Singh, Programme Manager of Ecosikh in India, said some 1,550 Sikh gurdwaras, organizations and institutions from India and abroad had held special Gurbani recitals on the theme of nature and organized herbal plants and flower shows.
"For the first time, Sikhs in the British Army are also organizing their special observances on environment." he added.
Gurdwaras across Punjab and other parts of the world also pledged to reduce the use of Styrofoam and disposables at gurdwaras and religious ceremonies.
"Many gurdwaras have begun projects on implementing solar panels, composting systems, and steel utensils during langar (free community meal in the Sikh tradition) for more comprehensive environmental sustainability," said Paramjeet Kaur, EcoSikh programme administrator in North America.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened