Gyanendra for campaign to restore Nepal as Hindu state
Kathmandu: Nepal`s dethroned king has come
out in support of a campaign to restore the country as a Hindu
state at rare public appearance near the world famous
Pashupatinath temple in the capital.
64-year-old Gyanendra and former queen Komal went to
the Bankali forest area near Pashupatinath yesterday where
Kali Baba, a popular saint in the country, has been conducting
a `Maha Yagnya`, a ritual to restore Hinduism as the state
religion in Nepal.
Nepal was converted into a secular state three years
ago by the Parliament.
The former monarch also took part in the ritual as per
the Hindu tradition on the occasion, according to
The former monarch was greeted with cheers by the
large crowd when he arrived at the temple. Wearing garlands,
Gyanendra spoke to the media briefly, saying Nepal should be
restored as a Hindu state as per people’s desire.
"I will extend my support to the campaign if Nepalese
people want to restore the Hindu state status, he said.
The `Sahasra Rudrachandi yajna` by Kali Baba from
March 1. It has been drawing thousands of Hindu devotees
including senior politicians and ministers.
Kali Baba has announced that he would sacrifice his
life if Hindu state status is not restored within the next
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India