Gyanendra for campaign to restore Nepal as Hindu state
Kathmandu: Nepal`s dethroned king has come
out in support of a campaign to restore the country as a Hindu
state at rare public appearance near the world famous
Pashupatinath temple in the capital.
64-year-old Gyanendra and former queen Komal went to
the Bankali forest area near Pashupatinath yesterday where
Kali Baba, a popular saint in the country, has been conducting
a `Maha Yagnya`, a ritual to restore Hinduism as the state
religion in Nepal.
Nepal was converted into a secular state three years
ago by the Parliament.
The former monarch also took part in the ritual as per
the Hindu tradition on the occasion, according to
The former monarch was greeted with cheers by the
large crowd when he arrived at the temple. Wearing garlands,
Gyanendra spoke to the media briefly, saying Nepal should be
restored as a Hindu state as per people’s desire.
"I will extend my support to the campaign if Nepalese
people want to restore the Hindu state status, he said.
The `Sahasra Rudrachandi yajna` by Kali Baba from
March 1. It has been drawing thousands of Hindu devotees
including senior politicians and ministers.
Kali Baba has announced that he would sacrifice his
life if Hindu state status is not restored within the next
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested