Gyanendra`s India visit fuels speculation in Nepal
Kathmandu: An extended private visit of
Nepal`s ousted king Gyanendra has sparked speculation here,
amid the political crisis that has stalled the peace process
in the country.
Gyanendra is in New Delhi for over two weeks following a
vist to Jaipur for a private function. Although his India
visit was earlier scheduled for two weeks, his stay in India
has been extended beyond one month, fueling speculation here.
The visit of the former monarch to India comes amid the
stalled 2006 peace process.
Gyanendra`s personal aide Sagar Timilsina told Kantipur
daily that the ex-monarch has extended his stay in Delhi for
personal work, withour giving any details.
According to the daily, Gyanendra was seeking "political
meetings" in Delhi.
Guna Raj Luitel of the Annapurna Post daily saw a link
between the prolonged stay of Gyanendra in Delhi and the
current political deadlock in Kathmandu.
The prolonged stay of Gyanendra in Delhi and the ongoing
political deadlock in Nepal are not just coincidences, he
Pointing to the daily hardship facing the people due to
lack of essential items, such as cooking gas, petroleum
products and 12 hour daily power cuts, he said: "It has only
worsened the situation in which people have begun to lose
faith in the democratic system."
Against this is the failure of the government to conclude
the peace process, he said.
The paralysis has fuelled public anger in what is one of
the world`s poorest nations -- all a far cry from the euphoria
and optimism that followed the end of the civil war and the
abolition of the unpopular monarchy.
This is the third visit to India by Gyanendra after the
monarchy was abolished in Nepal in May 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?