Hafiz Saeed serves legal notices on journalists
Lahore: LeT founder Hafiz Mohammad Saeed has served legal notices on two Pakistani journalists for allegedly concocting a report about his secret meeting with US Ambassador Cameron Munter, seeking Rs 100 million as damages.
The notices were served on columnist Nazir Naji and reporter Amir Mir by Saeed`s lawyer AK Dogar.
The notices contended that Naji`s column in a Urdu daily on May 9 and Mir`s report in the an Online website on May 12 were aimed at tarnishing Saeed`s image.
Dogar said Saeed did not want to meet an envoy of the country that he claims is the "murderer of millions of Muslims and an enemy of Pakistan."
He said Saeed would file a criminal case against both journalists who tried to defame him in Pakistan and abroad.
Both journalists were bound to reply to the notice seeking Rs 100 million as damages within 14 days, failing which legal proceedings would begin against them, Dogar claimed.
The US embassy recently denied media reports of a secret meeting between Saeed and the Ambassador.
Naji wrote in his column that after the US announced a bounty of 10 million dollars for Saeed, "some extremists elements" arranged a secret meeting between the LeT founder and Munter.
Naji further claimed that Saeed and Munter explained their points of view at the meeting.
After the meeting, Naji wrote, Saeed was "satisfied" and resumed taking part in public activities openly as he had been given some sort of undertaking by the US envoy.
"We want legal action against Naji and Mir for writing unfounded, baseless and malicious pieces against a respectable citizen of Pakistan," Dogar claimed.
US officials have described Saeed as a key suspect in the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
Saeed was briefly detained after the attacks before being freed on the orders of the Lahore High Court.
Pakistan claims that India has not provided sufficient evidence to prosecute Saeed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days