Haider Khan elected new `PM` of PoK
Islamabad: Raja Farooq Haider Khan of the Muslim Conference was on Thursday elected as `prime minister` of Pakistan-occupied Kashmir by its Legislative Assembly after his predecessor Sardar Yaqoob Khan resigned to avoid a possible no-confidence motion.
Haider Khan defeated his only rival, outgoing `prime minister` Yaqoob Khan who was fielded by a four-party alliance that includes Pakistan`s ruling PPP.
He bagged 29 votes, ten more than Yaqoob Khan, in the 49-member Legislative Assembly.
Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani congratulated Haidar Khan after he took oath of office this afternoon.
The Assembly met at 10 am local time in PoK capital Muzaffarabad to elect the new Leader of the House with Speaker Shah Ghulam Qadir in the chair.
Yaqoob Khan, who was in the post for only nine months, said he accepted the verdict of the House.
Strict security arrangements were made in Muzaffarabad ahead of the voting.
PoK has witnessed considerable instability over the past year, with local political parties accusing the PPP of indulging in horse-trading to come to power in the region.
Parties kept assembly members at undisclosed locations to prevent them from switching allegiance ahead of the voting.
Yaqoob Khan resigned from the post last week after the opposition threatened to move a no-confidence motion against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!