`Hakimullah no longer running Pak Taliban`
Washington: The Pentagon on Thursday said that Pakistani Taliban leader Hakimullah Mehsud is no longer running the terrorist outfit, even as news reports from that country claimed that he is still alive.
It has been widely believed that Hakimullah, who had succeeded Baitullah Mehsud, was killed in a drone attack early this year.
"I can also tell you that I certainly have seen no evidence that the person you speak of is operational today or is executing or exerting authority over the Pakistan Taliban as he once did," Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell told reporters at a news briefing.
"I don`t know if that reflects him being alive or dead, but he clearly is not running the Pakistani Taliban anymore," Morrell said in response to a question if Mehsud was dead or alive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back