Half a million Afghans displaced: Amnesty
Kabul: A new report by Amnesty International says that every day, 400 people join the ranks of the half a million Afghans displaced by fighting and natural disaster.
Thursday`s report says up to 35,000 of these internally displaced persons are living in temporary camps in the Afghan capital. Their plight has been aggravated by the worst cold snap and heaviest snowfall Kabul has experienced in 15 years.
Amnesty`s researcher Horia Mosadiq says thousands of people are living in freezing, cramped conditions and on the brink of starvation.
The report says displacements are on the rise with an estimated 91,000 Afghans having fled their homes because of the conflict in the first six months of 2011. That was up 46 percent from the first half of 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH