Hamid Karzai orders US forces out of two Afghanistan provinces
Kabul: Accusing US special forces of fuelling "insecurity and instability", Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai on Sunday demanded their removal from Wardak and Logar provinces within two weeks.
A statement on the official Website of the Afghan government read: "..Armed individuals named as US special force stationed in Wardak province engage in harassing, annoying, torturing and even murdering innocent people."
"A recent example in the province is an incident in which nine people were disappeared in an operation by this suspicious force and in a separate incident a student was taken away at night from his home, whose tortured body with throat cut was found two days later under a bridge."
"However, Americans reject having conducted any such operation and any involvement of their special force," the statement said.
The announcement comes as a blow to the anti-Taliban, US-led, NATO forces whose 100,000 troops are due to vacate Afghanistan by 2014-end.
Agencies quoted spokesman of US Forces Afghanistan (USFOR-A) as saying that the allegations were being taken seriously and facts would be probed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof