Hang Mujib killers: Dhaka lawmaker
Dhaka: A senior ruling party lawmaker in Bangladesh wants former Army officers sentenced to death for killing the country`s founding father Sheikh Mujibur Rahman to be hung this month.
Awami League`s deputy parliamentary leader Syeda Sajeda Chowdhury voiced the demand "in the name of the people" as the country on Friday began celebrations leading up to ‘Bijoy Diwas’, to December 16, the day the Pakistani military surrendered to the Bangladeshi-Indian forces in 1971.
Chowdhury reiterated on behalf of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina`s government the authorities` resolve to try those who killed unarmed civilians during the 1971 freedom movement, New Age said.
‘Bijoy Diwas’ gains added importance because of the government`s move to hold the trials of those who killed Mujibur Rahman.
Mujibur Rahman, referred to as Mujib, was killed along with a score of his family members and political associates in August 1975.
A bench of the Supreme Court last month confirmed death sentences for 12 former Army officers, half of whom are in jail and five are living abroad. One officer died.
Those in jail have filed review petitions and are likely to seek presidential pardon.
Celebrations began on Thursday in the border town of Akhahura in the eastern region and Friday in Tangail district in the centre and Kushtia in the west.
These towns were freed on this day by the advancing Indian and Bangladeshi forces, The Daily Star said.
Memorials were opened at Akhahura and other towns by lawmakers and former freedom fighters to commemorate the 1971 war, the newspaper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today