Haqqani network chief`s son gunned down in Islamabad
Zee Media Bureau
Islamabad: Naseeruddin Haqqani, the son of Haqqani network leader Jalaluddin Haqqani, was killed in a firing incident here Sunday night, as per BBC.
Naseeruddin Haqqani`s body was being taken to North Waziristan, Geo News reported citing Taliban sources.
Nasiruddin was killed by two gunmen riding a motorcycle when he was returning home from a mosque in Barakahu area late last night, the leaders said.
"I can confirm that Dr Nasir has been martyred," a militant, who previously worked with the Haqqani network in North Waziristan, was quoted as saying by The Express Tribune.
There was no independent confirmation of the report. Islamabad Police sources denied knowledge of the incident.
Pakistani Taliban sources said they had heard about the incident and were in the process of confirming it.
The militant said Nasiruddin`s body had been sent to Miranshah in North Waziristan Agency yesterday for burial.
Nasiruddin, the eldest son of Haqqani network founder Jalaluddin Haqqani, was involved in "dialogue-related affairs" of the group. According to the US, he was a key financier and emissary of the dreaded network. Three more of Jalaluddin`s sons have also been killed.
Born in Paktika province of Afghanistan, Nasiruddin was put on the UN Security Council`s sanctions list of individuals subjected to an assets freeze, travel ban and arms embargo after the 9/11 terror attacks.
According to the sanctions list, Nasiruddin had travelled to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates to raise funds for militants and operated from Pakistan`s North Waziristan tribal region.
The Haqqani network is considered the most dangerous Taliban faction in Afghanistan. The Haqqanis have been blamed for devastating attacks on the Afghan government, US and Nato forces and the Indian Embassy in Kabul.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview