Haqqani network killed Sushmita Banerjee?
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Two people have been reportedly detained in connection with the murder of Indian author Sushmita Banerjee, who was killed by Taliban militants outside her residence in Afghanistan.
The suspects who have been held are members of Haqqani militant network and resided in the same village in which the slain author lived, as per a BBC news report.
The suspects were arrested on the basis of intelligence information and two Kalashnikovs, a motorbike and explosives were recovered from their possession, provincial police chief Dawlat Khan Zadran said, the BBC report stated.
Banerjee, also known as Sayed Kamala, was working as a health worker in the area.
Her last rites were performed in Afghanistan on Monday.
49-year-old Banerjee wrote “Kabuliwalar Bangali Bou" (A Kabuliwala`s Bengali Wife), a book that details the dramatic escape of a woman under Taliban rule. The book became a best-seller and was turned into a Bollywood movie.
The slain author hailed from Kolkata. She married Afghan businessman Jaanbaz Khan in India and got married to him despite her parents` disapproval.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery