Haqqani network members captured in Afghanistan
Kabul: Four members of the Haqqani insurgent network have been arrested in eastern Afghanistan, the National Directorate for Security (NDS), the country`s intelligence agency, said Friday.
"A four-member group of Haqqani terror network and a would-be suicide bomber were captured by the personnel of NDS," Xinhua quoted an agency statement as saying.
They were involved in carrying out terror activities, organising explosions and suicide attacks in Gardez, the provincial capital of eastern Paktiya Province, the statement noted.
As a Taliban-linked group of militants, the Haqqani network mostly operates in eastern provinces and Kabul and has been responsible for many high-profile attacks against security forces.
The captured men have confessed their involvement in subversive activities, the statement added.
The Taliban insurgent group has intensified attacks recently as the Afghan security forces took the full operational lead from foreign troops in June last year.
The war-torn country is due to take over the responsibility for its own security from foreign troops by the end of the year.
More than 57,000 NATO-led troops, down from the peak of 130,000 in 2010, are currently deployed in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi