Haqqani network members captured in Afghanistan
Kabul: Four members of the Haqqani insurgent network have been arrested in eastern Afghanistan, the National Directorate for Security (NDS), the country`s intelligence agency, said Friday.
"A four-member group of Haqqani terror network and a would-be suicide bomber were captured by the personnel of NDS," Xinhua quoted an agency statement as saying.
They were involved in carrying out terror activities, organising explosions and suicide attacks in Gardez, the provincial capital of eastern Paktiya Province, the statement noted.
As a Taliban-linked group of militants, the Haqqani network mostly operates in eastern provinces and Kabul and has been responsible for many high-profile attacks against security forces.
The captured men have confessed their involvement in subversive activities, the statement added.
The Taliban insurgent group has intensified attacks recently as the Afghan security forces took the full operational lead from foreign troops in June last year.
The war-torn country is due to take over the responsibility for its own security from foreign troops by the end of the year.
More than 57,000 NATO-led troops, down from the peak of 130,000 in 2010, are currently deployed in Afghanistan.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living