Haqqani pleads to be excused from personal appeara
Islamabad: Former ambassador Husain Haqqani today submitted an application asking to be excused from appearing tomorrow before the judicial commission that is investigating a mysterious memo that sought US help to stave off a feared coup in Pakistan last year.
Haqqani, who was forced to quit after American businessman Mansoor Ijaz made the memo public, said in the application submitted in the Islamabad High Court that he wished to be excused on grounds of bad health.
The Supreme Court-appointed commission is set to resume its hearings tomorrow after being granted an extension in its term. Haqqani is currently in the US and has petitioned the apex court to allow him to depose before the commission via a video link.
In his application, Haqqani said he is feeling unwell and undergoing medical tests for chest and artery disease in the US. He said his doctors have found he has symptoms of
"crescendo angina" and advised him to undergo a thorough investigation and tests.
Haqqani said he had also submitted a petition in the Supreme Court to allow him to record his statement via video link as a similar facility was provided to Mansoor Ijaz.
Haqqani`s lawyer Zahid Bukhari said the apex court had adjourned the hearing of the petition on March 29 without deciding on the issue.
Bukhari requested the commission to adjourn its proceedings till the Supreme Court gives a decision on Haqqani`s petition.
On March 31, the commission had summoned Haqqani to Pakistan for recording his statement with regard to the origin, authenticity and purpose of the memo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note