Haqqanis threat to US national security: Pentagon
Washington: The Haqqani network represents a significant threat to the US national security, the Pentagon said, as it welcomed the decision of the Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, to designate the Pakistan-based outfit as a global terrorist organisation.
"We welcome Secretary Clinton`s announcement that the Haqqani Network meets the statutory criteria for designation as a Foreign Terrorist Organisation (FTO), and as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist entity," Pentagon Press Secretary, George Little, said.
Noting that the Haqqani Network represents a "significant threat to US national security", Little said the US will continue its aggressive military action against this threat.
"These new group designations will build on our efforts to degrade the Network`s capacity to carry out attacks, including affecting fundraising abilities, targeting them with our military and intelligence resources, and pressing Pakistan to take action," he said.
"We will continue these efforts, reinforced by today`s new designations.
"By strengthening our whole-of-government approach against the Haqqanis, we are supporting our campaign efforts in Afghanistan and further limiting the organisation`s capacity to destabilise the region," Little said.
The Pentagon statement came after Clinton formally designated the militant network as terrorist organisation in a report to the Congress yesterday.
"This is no secret that for some time this has been something under review. Squeezing the Haqqani Network is something that we`ve thought is very important, that we set as a priority for us.
"We had done that through some previous designations," the State Department spokesman, Patrick Ventrell, told reporters at his daily news conference.
"The Secretary said that she would fully review the matter and comply with the law and the legislation to see whether it met the designation, and her finding is that indeed it does.
"These are decisions that take careful review and are complex and require a very detailed review, but that was the decision," he said.
"The point of this designation is to degrade the ability of the Haqqanis to conduct violent acts. So they`ve carried out lethal and complex attacks against American personnel and American facilities.
"So the point of this is to degrade their ability to conduct these kinds of violent acts," Ventrell said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly