Hariprasad Chaurasia enthralls Karachiites
Karachi: It was an evening to remember for
the music lovers of Karachi as they immersed themselves into
the tunes of India`s acclaimed flute maestro Hariprasad
Chaurasia who performed for the people of Pakistan in a rare
The master musician`s concert was the highlight of the
celebrations of India`s 63rd Republic Day yesterday as the
notes of bansuri filled the air and Chaurasia made sure he
much enthralled the audience.
Just how much the people enjoyed the concert was evident
from the way they flocked to fete the Indian High Commission
officials and members of the Indian Council for Cultural
relations after the concert.
The maestro, accompanied on stage by Shri Bhawani Prasad
Kathak (pakhavaj), Shri Samar Saha (tabla), Shri Sunil Bhagwan
Avachat (bansuri) and Sushree Nayanashree Pushpanjali
Chaurasia (tanpura), commenced the concert with raga Maru
He later presented a composition in nine-matra (madh
taal), which is reckoned a tough, rare beat cycle for a
soul-stirring rendition. He also produced a bandish in raga
Bhopali, leaving the audience spell bound.
The music lovers were in for another treat when Chaurasia
graciously asked his fans if they wanted to hear more, and
obliged an audience member`s request for a thumri.
Indian High Commissioner Sharat Sabharwal told the
audience that the maestro was invited for the concert because
India and Pakistan shared the common tradition of music which
knew no boundaries.
He pointed out that genres like ghazal and qawwali were
listened to with fondness on both sides of the border.
Besdies on the cultural sphere, more Indian presence is
due this year at the Karachi Literature festival that opens on
February 11. Organisers of the festival have invited noted
Indian writer and critic, Shobha De for a session.
On the first day of the festival, De, along with English
author-playwright Hanif Kureshi and Scottish author William
Dalrymple will engage in conversations with the audience.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’