Hariprasad Chaurasia enthralls Karachiites
Karachi: It was an evening to remember for
the music lovers of Karachi as they immersed themselves into
the tunes of India`s acclaimed flute maestro Hariprasad
Chaurasia who performed for the people of Pakistan in a rare
The master musician`s concert was the highlight of the
celebrations of India`s 63rd Republic Day yesterday as the
notes of bansuri filled the air and Chaurasia made sure he
much enthralled the audience.
Just how much the people enjoyed the concert was evident
from the way they flocked to fete the Indian High Commission
officials and members of the Indian Council for Cultural
relations after the concert.
The maestro, accompanied on stage by Shri Bhawani Prasad
Kathak (pakhavaj), Shri Samar Saha (tabla), Shri Sunil Bhagwan
Avachat (bansuri) and Sushree Nayanashree Pushpanjali
Chaurasia (tanpura), commenced the concert with raga Maru
He later presented a composition in nine-matra (madh
taal), which is reckoned a tough, rare beat cycle for a
soul-stirring rendition. He also produced a bandish in raga
Bhopali, leaving the audience spell bound.
The music lovers were in for another treat when Chaurasia
graciously asked his fans if they wanted to hear more, and
obliged an audience member`s request for a thumri.
Indian High Commissioner Sharat Sabharwal told the
audience that the maestro was invited for the concert because
India and Pakistan shared the common tradition of music which
knew no boundaries.
He pointed out that genres like ghazal and qawwali were
listened to with fondness on both sides of the border.
Besdies on the cultural sphere, more Indian presence is
due this year at the Karachi Literature festival that opens on
February 11. Organisers of the festival have invited noted
Indian writer and critic, Shobha De for a session.
On the first day of the festival, De, along with English
author-playwright Hanif Kureshi and Scottish author William
Dalrymple will engage in conversations with the audience.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list