Hasina mourns Basu`s death, says immense loss for B`desh
Dhaka: Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Sunday
expressed her deep shock at the death of veteran Marxist
leader and former West Bengal Chief Minister Jyoti Basu,
describing it as an immense loss for Bangladesh.
"It (death) is also an immense loss for Bangladesh as
well as myself... we have lost a tested friend and well wisher
of ours," a spokesman from the Prime Minister`s office said
quoting Hasina as saying in her instant reaction.
Hasina is now on an official tour of the western Jessore
district and is expected to return to the capital later today,
the spokesman said.
Hasina, who was Basu`s acquaintance for decades, kept a
close watch on the health condition of the leader, who had
ancestral links with Bangladesh.
In a statement issued by the Bangladesh High Commission
in New Delhi, Hasina expressed her "deep shock and profound
sorrow" at Basu`s demise describing him as one of the leading
political figures in the sub-continent and a great friend and
well wisher of Bangladesh.
She also recalled Basu`s "enormous support" to the 1971
liberation war and said his death was a great loss not only
for India but also for the region.
"On this sad occasion, we recall with deep gratitude Mr
Basu`s enormous support. I also remember his role and personal
initiative in strengthening the bilateral relations between
Bangladesh and India, particularly the efforts he made for the
conclusion of the Ganges water sharing treaty in 1996," she
said offering her heartfelt condolences.
Hasina will come to Kolkata on Tuesday morning to pay her last
respect to Jyoti Basu. Hasina will travel by a special flight to Kolkata on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi