Hasina orders intensified security for Zia
Dhaka: Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Saturday
ordered intensified security for her archrival and BNP chief
Khaleda Zia after the opposition party expressed fear of a
threat to her life.
"She (Hasina) has asked the home minister (Sahara Khatun)
to strengthen the security of the opposition leader," local
government minister and ruling Awami League`s general
secretary Syed Ashraful Islam told newsmen at a briefing.
Emerging from a central working committee meeting of the
party chaired by Hasina, Islam said the government would
intensify Zia`s security despite the fact that "our leader`s
(Hasina) security protection was withdrawn when BNP cam to
power" after 2001 elections.
"The opposition leader deserves the security which is
enjoyed by a cabinet minister, but she currently getting 10
times more security compared to what a minister gets," Islam
said when asked if the elite Special Security Force (SSF)
would be engaged for Zia`s protection in line with BNP`s
BNP yesterday demanded elite SSF protection for its chief
saying she was exposed to security risks after an improvised
bomb exploded near her office last week and two homemade
devises were found from the same place earlier.
"We are deeply concerned about the two recent bomb
attacks on BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia. BNP standing committee
demands deployment of SSF to secure her life," opposition
spokesman Nazrul Islam Khan said.
The government earlier alleged that the incidents were
"staged by BNP itself" as police arrested a leader of BNP`s
student wing from near the blast scene suspecting him to be
involved the incident.
Asked if the bomb attacks were staged by the BNP itself,
the opposition policymaker termed it Awami League`s
The SSF commandoes are trained specially for providing
security to the VVIPs including the president and prime
minister and visiting heads of governments or states.
The past military backed interim government engaged SSF
for the security of both Hasina and Zia in for three months
ahead of the December 29, 2008 general elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch