Hasina orders intensified security for Zia
Dhaka: Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Saturday
ordered intensified security for her archrival and BNP chief
Khaleda Zia after the opposition party expressed fear of a
threat to her life.
"She (Hasina) has asked the home minister (Sahara Khatun)
to strengthen the security of the opposition leader," local
government minister and ruling Awami League`s general
secretary Syed Ashraful Islam told newsmen at a briefing.
Emerging from a central working committee meeting of the
party chaired by Hasina, Islam said the government would
intensify Zia`s security despite the fact that "our leader`s
(Hasina) security protection was withdrawn when BNP cam to
power" after 2001 elections.
"The opposition leader deserves the security which is
enjoyed by a cabinet minister, but she currently getting 10
times more security compared to what a minister gets," Islam
said when asked if the elite Special Security Force (SSF)
would be engaged for Zia`s protection in line with BNP`s
BNP yesterday demanded elite SSF protection for its chief
saying she was exposed to security risks after an improvised
bomb exploded near her office last week and two homemade
devises were found from the same place earlier.
"We are deeply concerned about the two recent bomb
attacks on BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia. BNP standing committee
demands deployment of SSF to secure her life," opposition
spokesman Nazrul Islam Khan said.
The government earlier alleged that the incidents were
"staged by BNP itself" as police arrested a leader of BNP`s
student wing from near the blast scene suspecting him to be
involved the incident.
Asked if the bomb attacks were staged by the BNP itself,
the opposition policymaker termed it Awami League`s
The SSF commandoes are trained specially for providing
security to the VVIPs including the president and prime
minister and visiting heads of governments or states.
The past military backed interim government engaged SSF
for the security of both Hasina and Zia in for three months
ahead of the December 29, 2008 general elections.
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Kerala law student rape and murder: Three detained by police
- WATCH: SHOCKING! When Ashish Nehra abused Mahendra Singh Dhoni for dropping Shahid Afridi's catch
- 58 weightlifters caught for doping last year: Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal
- PM Modi wants BJP MPs, ministers to highlight govt's schemes like LPG coverage, electrification of villages
- Tibet govt-in-exile in Dharamsala unpopular among Tibetans: China