Hasina pays tribute to martyred Indian soldiers
Dhaka: Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Wednesday recalled India`s contribution to Bangladesh`s 1971 liberation war and paid rich tributes to martyred Indian soldiers when visiting Indian Army Chief General Bikram Singh called on her.
"Many Indian soldiers and officers had made their supreme sacrifice in the war, which Bangladesh always remembers with gratitude," Hasina was quoted as saying by her press secretary Abul Kalam Azad.
Azad told PTI that Hasina identified "poverty" to be the common enemy of both the countries which required Bangladesh and India to join hands for tranquility in this region.
The statement came after Singh called Hasina at her official Ganobhaban residence.
She said the two Armies should exchange knowledge, expertise, and views in disaster management for enhancing efforts to serve humanity during any catastrophe.
Singh, Azad said, praised the Bangladesh premier`s leadership in strengthening bilateral ties and also appreciated Bangladesh`s progress in different areas.
The Indian Army Chief arrived here on a four-day tour yesterday, his maiden visit to the neighbouring country since his appointment nearly four months ago.
Singh is here at the invitation of his Bangladeshi counterpart General Iqbal Karim Bhuiyan and is being accompanied by his wife Surjeet Kaur.
Singh`s predecessor General V K Singh visited Bangladesh in June last year when he took salute at a passing out ceremony at the Bangladesh Military Academy (BMA).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days