Hasina pledges to punish online insults against Islam
Dhaka: Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today pledged stern action against people found guilty of defaming Islam using the internet as right-wing Islamic parties threatened to wage an intensified street campaign against "atheist bloggers".
"You (Islamic parties) do not need to go for any movement. As a Muslim, I have the responsibility to take action," Hasina said at a party meeting of her ruling Awami League, this evening.
She added, "We have already decided what action to be taken against those responsible for (internet posts and blogs) hurting people`s religious sentiments." ? ?? The premier`s comments came days after newly-emerged Hefazat-e-Islam announced a long march towards the capital Dhaka on April 6 to protest against "atheist internet bloggers".
Bangladesh authorities had earlier banned the YouTube website to prevent the viewing of a video allegedly insulting Prophet Mohammad which sparked worldwide protests late last year.
In February, they shut down 12 blogs and Facebook pages for carrying out "malicious publicity" by suspected Islamists as several radical leaders faced trial for crimes in 1971 liberation war.
The Jamaat-e-Islami (JI) and several other Islamist outfits have been alleging that youngsters and "anti-Islamic bloggers" were defaming Islam while the bloggers` movement has demanded tough punishment for the accused in 1971 war crimes.
The youngsters had earlier rejected the Islamists` allegation, calling it an effort to thwart the war crimes trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack