Hasina, Zia in new confrontation over airport project
Dhaka: A fresh political confrontation erupted in Bangladesh Tuesday with Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina`s government accusing opposition leader Khaleda Zia of inciting violence at Munshiganj near here where thousands of people are protesting plans to have a new international airport.
One policeman died and over a hundred people, including newsmen, were injured in the day-long clashes Monday at the site, about 40 km from the national capital.
Police filed a case against Zia Tuesday morning for instigating violence and the protests against the proposed Bangabandhu Airport in Arial Beel.
The new allegation against Zia came amidst speculation that the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) that she leads may return to parliament, ending an eight month boycott.
Abdul Matin, a public prosecutor and president of ruling Awami League`s Munshiganj town unit, filed the case with Judicial Magistrate`s court against 3,000 unknown people.
Zia has been made the chief accused, Star Online, the website of The Daily Star, said.
Zia was accused of making a "provocative speech" against the project at a forum here last Saturday.
The BNP threatened a nationwide agitation giving a 24-hour ultimatum to withdraw the case.
The government had abruptly changed location of the proposed airport, the report said.
The government`s plan to construct the airport in low lying Arial Beel, instead of a much superior place in Trishal, "was taken without any pre-feasibility study, and out of personal whims of some officials", the daily said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’