Heavy fighting in Pak tribal areas kills dozens
Parachinar: Pakistani fighter jets bombed militant hideouts in tribal areas near the Afghan border on Wednesday, officials said, capping two days of the fiercest fighting in weeks triggered by attacks by the Pakistani Taliban.
The attacks likely make exploratory peace talks between the Pakistani government and the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) more unlikely than ever, with 78 Taliban and 10 Pakistani soldiers killed and scores more injured in the fighting.
The TTP, al Qaeda, and the Afghan Taliban movement fighting Western forces in Afghanistan are entrenched in Pakistan`s northwestern tribal areas.
A series of military offensives have failed to break the group.
Wednesday`s air strike was in response to an earlier Taliban attack on a security post that killed 10 Pakistani soldiers and wounded 32 others, security officials said.
Pakistani jets bombed two militant positions in the Jogi area of the Kurram tribal region, killing 12 TTP militants and six Uzbeks.
The jets then hit more militant positions in the nearby Mamozai area in the Orakzai tribal region, killing 20 militants and two senior commanders, officials added.
"Local TTP commanders Mullah Toofan and Maulvi Moinuddin`s hideouts were targeted and destroyed," a local military official told Reuters, requesting anonymity because he`s not authorized to speak to the media. "We have reports of 20 militants killed, including Moinuddin."
The death toll provided by the Pakistani military could not be independently verified and militants often dispute official accounts. A local TTP spokesman said the two commanders were alive.
Some government officials and local tribesmen insisted the militants were killed by missiles fired from remotely piloted U.S. drones, but the Pakistani military denied this.
"Our own fighter jets pounded four of their main training centers in Mamozai," a senior Pakistan army official in Orakzai said.
Pakistan`s army and air force have been conducting operations against militants in Kurram since the beginning of the year. Fighting has been particularly intense in Jogi.
Exploratory peace talks between Pakistan and the TTP have made little progress so far, and previous peace deals have failed to improve security.
At least four soldiers and 30 militants were killed during clashes last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Some parties trying to create anti-Centre sentiment, says Venkaiah Naidu
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog