Hillary backs `just, democratic` Sri Lanka
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton voiced hope for a "just and democratic" Sri Lanka as she offered congratulations ahead of the war-torn island`s Independence Day on Friday.
Hillary said in a statement on Wednesday that the United States and Sri Lanka have historically enjoyed "a strong relationship based on mutual interests and a shared commitment to the ideals of democratic governance”.
"We hope to continue our efforts to strengthen this relationship by assisting in post-war reconciliation to bring about a peaceful, prosperous, just and democratic future for all its citizens," Hillary said.
Sri Lanka`s relations with the United States were strained in 2009 when Washington voiced concern about human rights as the Army killed the top leadership of the Tamil Tiger rebels, ending decades of insurgency.
After urgings by the Tamil Diaspora, a number of US lawmakers have pushed President Barack Obama`s administration to take a harder line on Sri Lanka, such as supporting an international probe into the 2009 violence.
The United Nations has said that at least 7,000 civilians perished in the final months of fighting, while international rights groups have put the toll at more than 30,000.
Sri Lanka has denied any civilian deaths and has rejected calls for an international probe. The Tigers were known for devastating suicide bombings during their decades-long campaign for a separate Tamil homeland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video