Hillary condemns murder of Afghan woman official
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has strongly condemned the murder of a senior Afghan woman official and asserted that the United States would continue to work to protect women rights in the war-torn Afghanistan.
"The United States joins the government of Afghanistan in strongly condemning the murder of Najia Sediqi, who was killed in a drive-by shooting on Monday morning," Hillary said in a statement on Wednesday.
"As Acting Director of Provincial Women`s Affairs, Najia was one of the many Afghan women who dedicate themselves every single day toward building a brighter future for the people of Afghanistan," she said.
The United States will continue to stand side-by-side with women who are carrying on Najia`s fight, the Afghan government and all Afghan people to ensure that the hard-won gains made by women in the recent years are protected and advanced, Hillary said, adding that senseless violence like this will only threaten the potential for peace.
It is the second time in less than six months that an individual holding that post has been assassinated. In July, Sediqi`s predecessor, Hanifa Safi, was killed when an improvised bomb exploded under her car - an attack attributed to the Taliban but never fully investigated, The New York Times reported.
Before that attack, Safi had been threatened because she had protected a young girl who married someone she loved rather than an older man to whom she had been promised, the daily said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days