Hillary condemns murder of Afghan woman official
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has strongly condemned the murder of a senior Afghan woman official and asserted that the United States would continue to work to protect women rights in the war-torn Afghanistan.
"The United States joins the government of Afghanistan in strongly condemning the murder of Najia Sediqi, who was killed in a drive-by shooting on Monday morning," Hillary said in a statement on Wednesday.
"As Acting Director of Provincial Women`s Affairs, Najia was one of the many Afghan women who dedicate themselves every single day toward building a brighter future for the people of Afghanistan," she said.
The United States will continue to stand side-by-side with women who are carrying on Najia`s fight, the Afghan government and all Afghan people to ensure that the hard-won gains made by women in the recent years are protected and advanced, Hillary said, adding that senseless violence like this will only threaten the potential for peace.
It is the second time in less than six months that an individual holding that post has been assassinated. In July, Sediqi`s predecessor, Hanifa Safi, was killed when an improvised bomb exploded under her car - an attack attributed to the Taliban but never fully investigated, The New York Times reported.
Before that attack, Safi had been threatened because she had protected a young girl who married someone she loved rather than an older man to whom she had been promised, the daily said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi