Hillary condemns murder of Afghan woman official
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has strongly condemned the murder of a senior Afghan woman official and asserted that the United States would continue to work to protect women rights in the war-torn Afghanistan.
"The United States joins the government of Afghanistan in strongly condemning the murder of Najia Sediqi, who was killed in a drive-by shooting on Monday morning," Hillary said in a statement on Wednesday.
"As Acting Director of Provincial Women`s Affairs, Najia was one of the many Afghan women who dedicate themselves every single day toward building a brighter future for the people of Afghanistan," she said.
The United States will continue to stand side-by-side with women who are carrying on Najia`s fight, the Afghan government and all Afghan people to ensure that the hard-won gains made by women in the recent years are protected and advanced, Hillary said, adding that senseless violence like this will only threaten the potential for peace.
It is the second time in less than six months that an individual holding that post has been assassinated. In July, Sediqi`s predecessor, Hanifa Safi, was killed when an improvised bomb exploded under her car - an attack attributed to the Taliban but never fully investigated, The New York Times reported.
Before that attack, Safi had been threatened because she had protected a young girl who married someone she loved rather than an older man to whom she had been promised, the daily said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing