Hillary to submit regional strategy report on Pak to Congress
Washington: US President Barack Obama has authorised Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to submit to the Congress a regional strategy report on Pakistan as mandated by the Enhanced Partnership with Pakistan Act of 2009.
The Enhanced Partnership with Pakistan Act of 2009, popularly known as Kerry-Lugar-Berman Bill; was signed into law by President Obama on October 15 last year.
Under Section 301 of this Act, the US President is required to submit to the Congress, a report on the comprehensive regional security strategy for Pakistan.
Such a report needs to be submitted to the Congress within 180 days of the bill being signed into law; which happens to be before April 15.
"I hereby delegate to you the functions and authority conferred upon the President by section 301 of the Enhanced Partnership with Pakistan Act of 2009, Public Law 111-73, to make the specified report to the Congress," Obama said in a memorandum to the Secretary of State.
As per the provisions of the Bill, the President shall develop a comprehensive interagency regional security strategy to eliminate terrorist threats and close safe havens in Pakistan, including by working with the Government of Pakistan and other relevant governments and organisations in the region and elsewhere.
As appropriate, to best implement effective counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism efforts in and near the border areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan, including the FATA, the NWFP, parts of Balochistan, and parts of Punjab.
The bill says it is the sense of Congress that the achievement of US national security goals to eliminate terrorist threats and close safe havens in Pakistan requires the development of a comprehensive plan that utilises all elements of national power, including in coordination and cooperation with other concerned governments, and that it is critical to Pakistan`s long-term prosperity and security to strengthen regional relationships among India, Pakistan, and Afghanistan.
Also it requires that the comprehensive regional strategy report shall include specifications of goals, and proposed timelines and budgets for implementation of the strategy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read